TEEN TOWN HALL MEETING
We had a great turnout of local teens and community leaders at our first Teen Town Hall on Tuesday! Check out the full recorded video if you couldn't join us, and keep an eye out for more Teen Town Halls in the future! #youthdevelopment #teenleadersclub Click here for the video.
TEEN LEADERS CLUB
An opportunity for teens to meet new people, while hanging out in a fun atmosphere at the YMCA. During meetings, club members will learn leadership skills, discuss real life issues, plan for upcoming volunteer events and join in social opportunities.
- WHAT DOES TEEN LEADERS CLUB DO?
- Teen Leaders Club is a national program that gives teens an opportunity to gain real-life, hands-on leadership experience through Volunteer Opportunities and Trainings at the Y, Planning and Executing Community Service Events, and weekly Club meetings.
The mission of the Teen Leaders Club is to strengthen the community by instilling the core values of Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility in teens through hands-on, real-life leadership activities, leadership retreats, and volunteering.
One of the unique traits of Teen Leaders Club is that everything is run by the teens themselves. Even the meetings are run by the CAB (Club Advisory Board), consisting of a group of teens that are chosen by their peers to plan and organize meetings and monthly events.
- Set and achieve personal and group goals, while increasing self-awareness and an understanding of teamwork
- Develop problem-solving, decision-making and communication skills
- Develop an increased understanding of and comfort with persons of diverse backgrounds
- Explore relationship skills such as empathy, sensitivity, trust and peaceful conflict resolution
- Explore leadership styles and effective leadership skills
- Learn that their actions have an impact, that they are valued and that they can and will affect their future
- Build meaningful friendships and have fun participating in new, exciting and challenging experiences
- WHO SHOULD JOIN?
Teen Leaders Club is for anyone, grades 6+, looking to have fun, learn, and serve the community. New members are always welcome! You do not need to be a member of the YMCA to participate.
- SEEKING ADULT ADVISERS!
- We are in search of an adult adviser to volunteer and mentor this small group of teens from our Marysville community
- Availability to supervise meetings either weekly or biweekly and help teen members plan monthly service projects
- Experience with the teen age group, either personally or professionally
- Confidence in performing as a cause-driven leader through facilitating discussion, encouraging creativity from club members, and establishing a well-organized agenda and timeline
- Belief in the YMCA’s core values of Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility
Babysitting Training Class
This course will prepare students to be better babysitters. Topics include how to provide care for infants and children, how to stay safe, what to do in an emergency, how to choose age-appropriate activities, and how to recognize and handle a variety of behaviors. Primarily designed for youth ages 11–15 Click here for more information.
The YMCA, and Teen Leaders Club, is open to all. Regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, military status, and socioeconomic level. A key component of Teen Leaders Club is educating and enabling teens to understand and be comfortable around others of diverse backgrounds, while also exploring their own identities.
Today's teens will be making the majority of societal choices and make the most impact on culture in the next 15 years.
20% of teens will experience depression before they reach adulthood. Involvement with other peers in a positive environment, and building leadership skills, can boost self esteem and reduce depression/anxiety.
YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility are incorporated into daily programming.
Variety of age appropriate activities that promote opportunities for children to explore their environment safely and confidently.
Activities are led by assigned teachers, as well as, self directed by the child. Creativity is encouraged to help promote individual growth.
Group and individual play. Kid Connect has activities that promote decision making skills, teach responsible behavior, and develop the child’s self confidence.